Today I did some research on how sound is used in – TV/film – sound – based media (radio/podcasts)
What is the purpose of sound in a moving image product?
- To create a mood – e.g. sad/slow music: sympathy
- g. happy, uplifting music
- Sound effects used in action, e.g. car crash – this is usually added on/enhanced in the edit using Foley.
- Silence: tension/ suspense
- Dialogue – story – telling or narration
- 3rd person dialogue – talking in a “natural” environment, watching their story is the narration
- 2nd person narration – voiceover – direct story – telling, we can’t see narrator.
- 1st person: we see a presenter/ narrator who directly addresses us e.g. the news.